So Many Good Reasons for Booking Direct
For guests and businesses it is easier, quicker and cheaper to book direct, however this is often overlooked when using “convenient” third-party portals and Online Travel Agents (OTAs). In keeping with this ethos and in support of Clonakilty’s drive for sustainable tourism, Ballynoe House has its’ own dedicated booking engine.
- Live calendar of availability.
- Online acceptance of Booking Terms & Conditions – No additional third-party portal sign-ups which require sharing more personal information than you need, and also having to agree to an additional set of terms & conditions that are more designed to protect the OTA’s business.
- Direct communication with the owners by email or phone – No cumbersome and monitored third-party portal messaging systems. You can call or Skype Ballynoe House for a friendly chat, have all your pre-booking questions answered in as much detail as you require, and get to know your hosts and the amenities ahead of time.
- Personal service and flexibility to ensure your booked accommodation is configured as you need it ahead of your arrival, especially if planning a social event or function. Ballynoe House tailors the accommodation to suit and can advise which bedroom configuration best meets the needs of your party.
- Should you need to make a change to your booking, it is so much easier when no third party is involved.
- Secure payment by credit card. Ballynoe House also pays any credit card charges, so you book for free and costs you less. Credit card payments can also be made by phone.
- Special offers are not be available through third-party portals. Ballynoe House’s 10% discount offer for bona fide artists and free stays, for example, can only be obtained by directly. We can only offer special discounts for longer-term bookings or repeat business if you talk to us.
- More detailed and accurate information about the accommodation and amenities on offer, which cannot always be included in standard formulaic set-ups on most third-party portals.
It is worth considering the main reasons why booking direct is more sustainable.
Did You Know?
Some booking portals take up to 15% of the booking in fees
Less of your money goes to the business and less money is reinvested in the region you are visiting. The more bookings an owner receives through OTAs the more likely the cost of staying with them will increase over time to compensate for this high “business cost”. As there is a significant impact on smaller businesses, some owners will provide additional help and services for a direct booking, for example making their Wi-Fi free. Ballynoe House can provide additional assistance to direct bookers ahead of their arrival and, subject to availability, also the possibility of providing free nights.
Small businesses who pay VAT still have to pay VAT on the full booking even after OTAs have taken their fee, so even less money goes to the business.
If Ballynoe House receives a higher proportion of direct bookings costs to be kept to a minimum. Once reaching a critical mass of referrals, repeat business and reputation clients will book directly with the business. It is a more sustainable way for tourism and reflects Clonakilty’s sustainability award and ambition. Remember that Ballynoe House’s rates are presently all-inclusive, so there are no additional charges for booking, electricity, gas, Wi-Fi or other services. With the support of our guests, we hope to be able to keep it that way.
2. When you pay direct, your payments go directly the business owner
Third party portals hold on to the money you pay and only pay the owners up to a month after your stay has ended. So, for example, if you pay a year in advance through a third-party portal, the owners may not see your payment for 13 or 14 months, less the booking fee. This only benefits the OTA and the owner has missed out on investing your payment for that amount of time. Booking direct with Ballynoe House means you have an opportunity to discuss a different rate for longer-term rental or, for example, if booking out the entire complex at Ballynoe House for a special function.
3. Not all third-party portals are fully integrated
This means that pricing may be artificially high on some non-integrated portals where businesses are including the fees in the overall price.
4. If guests aren’t satisfied with their experience, the owner has more power to resolve any issues when that guest booked directly
OTAs often claim using them provides additional consumer protection, but the increasing number of disputes and unreliable service support for both customers and owners suggests otherwise.
5. Most third-party portals engage in heavy Search Engine marketing so that they always appear in the top results, which lures travellers to book through them and generate their high commissions
Web users are getting wise to this ploy. It is worth remembering that most hotels will match a best offer price if contacted directly. They much prefer receiving a slightly-below-advertised rate than paying a significant commission to an OTA. More and more people are supporting smaller and medium-sized tourism and accommodation businesses by using OTAs for research purposes, then looking to contact the owners directly using keyword searches. Most business in the tourism sector have a business website, Facebook page, or a Google Maps entry. It only takes a few moments to find the owner’s independent site. It is a win-win-win for the guest, the owner and your holiday destination.
How Can I Support More Sustainable Tourism?
Always try to book directly with the accommodation provider. If you have already booked, most OTAs have a free cancellation period, so this will allow you to cancel and rebook directly with the owner. Don’t forget to contact them to tell them you are doing this. It will be appreciated.
If you have a particular destination in mind, you can usually find a regional or locality website that provides free advertising for accommodation providers without using through OTAs, for example Clonakilty & Pure Cork.
Thank you for choosing to book direct with Ballynoe House and your support of local business in the Clonakilty area.
Mark & Felicity Grace, Business Owners, Ballynoe House
Mark is a Director of the Clonakilty Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber is the advocate of Clonakilty District’s business and tourism community. It is a non-profit body managed by a volunteer Board of Directors and established with the sole aim to promote business in Clonakilty and to promote Clonakilty both as a location for business and as a tourist destination.
Ballynoe House supports the Book Your Holiday Direct with the Owner movement.